Saturday, March 12, 2016

When One Door Closes

Two weeks from tonight, on March 26, 2016, I will be Mrs. Mouslli. Now if you asked me a year ago where I would be in two weeks, I may have answered differently. I would have said packing for another trip to one of our high volume facilities in either Switzerland or Puerto Rico or maybe preparing a leadership retreat in Minneapolis as a newly appointed director. 

Instead, I have bouquets of flowers to finalize, a playlist to run through and remembering to breath over all the things I'm forgetting. And that's okay. 

Earlier today, while cleaning my room and going through my boxes, I stumbled across memories from the last twenty-nine years of my life. I couldn't help but shed a tear or two. There were signed yearbooks from grade school through high school. Ticket stubs to memorable sports event like my first Suns basketball game. Greeting cards for the holiday seasons and many years of my birthdays. But most importantly, pictures. 

I am who I am today because of all the events I encountered with all the people who made me laugh or cry and grow. We each go through a major life event either voluntarily or not. Keep these thoughts in your pocket each time. 

People will remain a part of you. 

I came across photos of my high school friends. Their smiles and notes they left me over the years was a reminder of what true friendship is. Some of these ladies will be flying from the east coast to celebrate my wedding. 

With each life event, we grow a little bit more. It's natural to change and maybe grow apart. But it is important to recognize how you are a collection of the pieces of people made an impact on you over the years. It is important to take the good ones with you and know how to walk away from those who wouldn't carry you when you needed it. 

The next opportunity will be better. 

Positivity drives results. I have to admit, I have been quite chirpy since the day my fiancé told me how he wanted the spend the rest of his life with me. My happiness resonates with those around me. I am more productive at work and have developed stronger communication skills as well.

It is bittersweet to know I'll be getting married. My choices at work will have a different priority system to them and it hit me today that I'll be leaving my mother's house. But by keeping an open mind on what future you will enter, the transition will go smoothly.  

You didn't get to where you are today by stopping at the last life event. 

I think I met my quota with childhood memories for a month or maybe a year. But I'll end with this final note- each of those moments made me into the leader I am today. High school graduation. Student council. Deterministic operations research. California trips. College graduation. Medtronic. Leadership training. Suns games. Car loans. 

If at one of those times, I stopped and said 'it can't get better,' I wouldn't have the next memory. 

Although getting married wasn't in my plan, it's only going to make me a better person. I'm not director yet but now have a right hand man to pull me up to that. I don't have any plans to go to one of the high volume facilities but a couple of other trips are on my radar. 

I had a tear in my eye thinking to myself "where did the time go and where will I be the next time I open this box?" But I smiled to a cliche thought. I closed my bedroom door and placed the boxes in my car. Thirty minutes later, my future husband greeted me and those boxes were placed in my new room. 

And so it is true, when one door closes, another one opens. It is okay to cry but remember to smile for what has to come. 


Second grade class picture. Jaggard Elementary School. Marlton, NJ. 1994-1995. 

No comments:

Post a Comment