Special Guest Post by Shadya Karawi Name
“Our days are numbered”. That was what Tima told me as we were discussing this blog post. The phrase sent immediate shivers throughout my entire body and it got me thinking. If our days are in fact numbered, then I want to make every single one of them count. I am going to make all that I can so that they add in happiness and not subtract. I am going to make the firm decision of doing something special with all of them so that, when we have to make our numbers and come clean on how well we used this life, I have a big number of days well lived.
I decided to come up with a list to remember always this promise I’m making with myself. Short and sweet:
- Do what you love: You are the master of your own destiny. You have a great gift to share with the world. Usually, those gifts are the things we enjoy the most on our spare time. It can be painting, writing, gardening, playing with numbers. Absolutely anything and the possibilities are countless. When you discover what it is that makes your heart jump, do it. Dedicate time every single day to your passion. Your heart and your life will be very grateful.
- Surround yourself with happy people: Establish healthy relationships. Be with people who share a positive outlook on life. Laughter is contagious and being with people who are optimistic will inspire you to live a happier life as well. Let go of those who drain you, who are constantly complaining, who play the role of the victim. Acknowledge that everyone is facing their own experiences. Appreciate the things they have taught you and be courageous enough to move past relationships that no longer serve a purpose of love in your life.
- Give back: When you give back, you receive again, and so a magical circle of joy is formed. You can contribute, in whatever way you can, with those situations and people that are dear to your heart. What you do does matter and it can make a difference bigger than you might perceive. Try to do a random act of kindness every day. I guarantee that you’ll feel better than ever.
- Go within: Meditate, pray, walk or do whatever it is that centers you. Take time to get to know yourself more. Understand what it is that moves you, get acquainted with your feelings, face your own fears. Only when we are in true connection with ourselves, can we be connected with others.
- Be grateful: Gratitude is, without a doubt, the key that opens all doors. When you begin saying thank you for everything that you already have (from a bed to sleep in and eyes to read this) you will receive more of what you desire. You will feel so blessed for all the things you’ve been gifted with that your spirit will be lifted automatically.
- Eat healthy: I’m sure you’ve all heard many times that we are what we eat. Choose life affirming foods and beverages. Listen to your body and learn to identify what it is it needs to function properly. We are all different so we all need something different. Know what it is that makes your body smile.
- Be flexible: Know that change is the only constant thing in life. Be prepared to have a shift of direction. Be aware that plans can fall down. Have options, move forward and take breaks. Don’t beat yourself up if something doesn’t work out as you had hoped it would. Those situations always have a blessing involved-look for it.
- Believe: In times of doubt, uncertainty and despair. In times of joy and celebration. Always believe. Know that there is greatness within you and that you have a beautiful purpose to fulfill. Trust that there is a loving power that is always with us. Believe in life and all the beauty that lies within it.
I’ve come to realize that it doesn’t matter in what order you do the things suggested above. What is important is having the conviction of wanting your life to change for the best. To be ready to face the world with a positive outlook. To know that you are powerful and that it depends on you, and solely on you, to make every single one of your numbered days mean something.
Shadya Karawi Name is a Colombian-Lebanese Psychologist. Author of Believe, The Fine Art of Setting Yourself Free, her passion around writing has been around her ability to express the feelings of her soul. Her experience across the globe and integration in different cultures has expanded her mind and soul in spreading the love and message around living a happy life. Check out her story http://www.shadyakarawiname.com/